Department of Botany and Plant Pathology (Plant Biology) records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a pamphlet that gives a thorough description of the Sanford Natural Area; the booklet "Exploring the Ecology Along the Red Cedar River" by Dorothy McMeetin, newsclippings of obituaries and funeral programs of faculty; and a comprehensive list of the requirements for a Bachelor's degree in Botany. There are also bulletins about plants and plant pathology information put out by the department. Also included are materials related to the Seminerium Botanicorum (Sem Bot) Club including the Botanists Bugle and a club record book.
The photographs include images of crops, fungi, lumbering, roots and grafting of trees and shrubs, scenes of the MSU campus including buildings, Beal Botanical Gardens, the deer park, and students in classes.
- 1876 - 1992
- Majority of material found within 1899 - 1992
- Michigan State University. Department of Botany and Plant Pathology (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Department of Plant Biology (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Plant Biology Department started in 1859 and was called Plant and Vegetable Physiology. In 1870 William J. Beal became the first professor of Botany at MSU. In 1880 the first Botanical Laboratory was built and then burned to the ground in 1890. The second Botanical Laboratory was built in 1893 on Circle Drive and is now referred to as the "Old Botany Building." In 1932 the department changed its name to Botany and Plant Pathology. In 1949 the Natural Science building was finished and the department was located there. In 1968 the Plant Pathology building was completed as an addition to the MSU/DOE (U.S Department of Energy) Plant Research Laboratory. On July 1, 2001 the Board of Trustees approved a reorganization and name change. The name changed to Plant Biology and a seperate Department of Plant Pathology which was a joint departmen with the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
2 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University
Property Rights: Michigan State University
- Department of Botany and Plant Pathology Records
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- S. Roberts
- December 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US