International Studies and Programs records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains International Studies and Programs records relating to international programs that Michigan State University participated in, as well as councils and committees about international programs and participation that MSU was involved in. Topics include rural and third-world development, international universities, foreign service, and programs available through MSU. The records contain reports to the Ford Foundation (1961-1970), which was a primary source of funding, as well as annual reports of the unit (1957-1971). Of special interest are a series of lectures by former MSU president John A. Hannah, pertaining to international social concerns. Other materials include brochures about study abroad programs, international student handbooks, as well as a Japan Center of Michigan Universities student handbook circa 2010 and newsletters for 2004-2010. Electronic Resources include correspondence in the form of e-mail memos and attachments, and issues of the electronic newsletter from the Center for Gender in Global Context from 2011 to 2015.
The collection also contains Midwest Consotritum for International Activities (MUCIA) meeting minutes contains administrative matters, updates on projects, proposals, reports, and applications for research and projects. Both MSU faculty and MSU international projects were involved in MUCIA.
- 1943 - 2016
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Department of International Studies and Programs (I.S.P.) was founded in 1956. Its predecessor units included the Coordinating Committee on Overseas Projects and the International Institute. The on-campus program coordination was carried out by the Foreign Studies Department from 1943 to 1961, but is now carried out by I.S.P. Records of the Foreign Student Advisor and the International Center are also included in this record group. I.S.P administers a variety of overseas projects and on-campus foreign studies centers and programs, as well as other programs and institutes of an international nature, some of which are administered jointly with other campus units.
22 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Preservica Public URL
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Annual reports
- Award presentations
- Committee on Institutional Cooperation
- Consortium for the Study of Nigerian Rural Development
- Course materials
- Developing countries
- DiBiaggio, John A., 1932-
- Education, Higher -- China
- Education, Higher -- Developing countries
- Education, Higher -- International cooperation
- Electronic mail messages
- Ford Foundation -- Chronological subdivision--1961-1970;
- Foreign study
- Gender and society
- Guyer, Gordon E. (Gordon Earl)
- Hannah, John A., 1902-1991
- International cooperation
- International education
- Japan Center for Michigan Universities
- Kellogg Fellows Leadership Alliance
- Khan, Akhter Hameed
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State University--University of Nigeria Program
- Michigan State University. African Studies Center
- Michigan State University. Asian Studies Center
- Michigan State University. Colombia Project
- Michigan State University. International Programs
- Michigan State University. Office of Study Abroad
- Michigan State University. Pakistan Project
- Michigan State University. Taiwan Project
- Michigan State University. Thailand Project
- Midwest Universities Consortium for International Activities
- Peace Corps (U.S.) -- Nigeria
- Perry, Miller O.
- Rural development -- International cooperation
- Scott, D. K. (David Knight), 1940-
- Students, Foreign
- Students, Foreign -- United States
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty
- Michigan State University. Center for Gender in Global Context (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Office of International Studies and Programs (Donor, Organization)
- International Studies and Programs Records
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- July 1981
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.