Frank W. Holder papers
Scope and Contents
The Holder collection is divided into three basic series. The first deals with his work for the Taft Highway Association. This series includes correspondence, records of the association and newspaper clippings. The second series relates records of the Association and newspaper clippings. The second series relates to Holder's position with the Michigan State Highway Department during World War II. This material contains records of bus line surveys as well as gasoline and tire rationing programs implemented in World War II. The final series is related to Holder's personal activities. This series includes correspondence from 1946-1957, account books, address books and magazines commemorating Fielding H. Yost's retirement from the University of Michigan in 1942.
- 1925 - 1959
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Frank Holder was Executive Vice President of the Taft Memorial Highway Association for a number of years. The Association was a pressure group of vested interests along existing U.S. 27 dedicated to insuring that the new interstate Taft Memorial Highway would follow the route of old U.S. 27 from Sault St. Marie, Michigan to Ft. Meyers, Florida. The bulk of the collection deals with this Association. There is a large amount of correspondence regarding the semi-annual association conventions and field trips of the organization as well as newspaper clippings and maps.
By World War II the Association was dying out and Holder took a position with the Michigan State Highway Department as chief of organization and administration for the State's war transportation program. There is a large amount of material in the war period relating to the role of the Michigan State Highway Department in Vital War Transportation and Vital War Manpower as well as Federal publications dealing with the same general subject and the rubber and gasoline rationing program.
Holder had a great number of personal friends whom he continued to communicate with until death in 1959. Some of these letters are included in the collection. He was a staunch Roosevelt supporter, and his letters in election years include a good deal of political commentary.
2.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Organization of the Papers
This collection is organized into 3 series
- Series I: Taft Memorial Highway Association
- Series II: World War II and War Transportation Board
- Series III: Postwar and Personal Materials
Gift of Mrs. Herbert Stoutenburg.
Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Account books
- Bus lines -- Michigan
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Halsey, Maxwell N. (Maxwell Nicoll), 1902-
- Kingdon, Frank, 1894-1972
- Letters (correspondence)
- Local government -- Michigan
- Melvindale (Mich.)
- Melvindale (Mich.) -- Maps
- Michigan -- Description and travel
- Michigan. Office of War Transportation
- Michigan. State Safety Commission
- Pleasant Ridge (Mich.)
- Pleasant Ridge (Mich.) -- Maps
- Rationing -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- United States. Office of Defense Transportation
- United States. Office of Price Administration
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Transportation -- United States
- Yost, Fielding Harris, 1871-1946
- Ziegler, Charles M., 1888-1959
- Frank W. Holder Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US