Skip to main content

Pere Marquette Lumber Company records

Identifier: 00031

Scope and Contents of the Records

This collection consists of tax receipts, deeds, ledgers, cash books, correspondence, and miscellaneous legal papers having to do with the Pere Marquette Lumber Company. There is also a journal and cash book of the company store, cash book of the Ludington Water Supply Company, and miscellaneous papers of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad.


  • Creation: 1860 - 1912

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Administrative History of Pere Marquette Lumber Company

The company was established July 29, 1869 by James Ludington, Delos Filer, John Loomis, and Luther Foster. The company owned property located in Mason, Mecosta, Newaygo, Oceana, Osceola, Muskegon, and Lake Counties. Most of this land was obtained by buying land grants from veterans of the War of 1812. The company went out of existence April 2, 1912.


3 Cubic Feet (, 17 volumes on shelf)

Language of Materials


Custodial History

Donor unknown.

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Pere Marquette Lumber Company Records
4 Published And Cataloged
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US