Paul D. Bagwell papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence, speeches, records, newspaper clippings, photographs and printed material of the public and private career of Paul D. Bagwell. The collection also includes two scrapbooks.
- 1938 - 1960
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Paul D. Bagwell was a high school speech teacher and later a professor of Speech at Michigan State College (now Michigan State University). He became head of the Department of Written and Spoken English and was also involved with the Department of Communication Skills and the Department of Speech and Dramatics at MSC. He was a member of the MSU Board of Trustees in 1964. His communications skills were also utilized by businesses and the military in promotion and training programs. As an educator and a speaker, Bagwell was a member of a number of education and communication organizations. Among these was the Victory Speakers' Bureau for which he was the chairman.
A civic minded individual, Bagwell was a member of a number of state, local and national organizations. He was a member and an officer of both the Michigan and the U.S. Jaycees (now the Junior Chamber of Commerce). A handicapped person himself, he was involved with Eisenhower's Commission on Employment of the Physically Handicapped, the March of Dimes and the United Community Chest of Ingham County. He was also a member of the U.S. National Commission on UNESCO.
Bagwell was also politically active. He was the Republican candidate for the post of State Auditor in 1956 but was defeated. He was also a primary election candidate for the position of Secretary of State in that same year. In 1958 and again in 1960 he was a candidate for the governorship but was defeated both times. Bagwell was also state chairman for the Citizens for Eisenhower Committee.
Bagwell resigned from his position of Director of Scholarships at MSU in 1961 to become the president of K-S Funds, Inc., a subsidiary of the King-Stevenson Gas and Oil Company of Denver.
21 Cubic Feet (, 2 volumes on shelf)
Language of Materials
Gift of Mrs. Paul D. Bagwell and Bagwell for Governor Headquarters
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Record group changed from 00039 to UA 1.1.6 to reflect Bagwell's connection to MSU. M. Badgley Malone, January 2020.
- American Council on Education. Cooperative Study of Evaluation in General Education
- Annual reports
- Citizens for Eisenhower (Organization)
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Cochrane, Louise, 1918-2012
- Education, Higher
- Elections -- Michigan
- Elections -- United States
- Ingham County Curative Workshop
- Lansing Civic Players Guild (Lansing, Mich.)
- Lectures and lecturing
- Letters (correspondence)
- March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
- Michigan -- Politics and government
- Michigan -- Statistics
- Michigan Council of Defense
- Michigan State University. Basic College
- Michigan. Office of Civilian Defense
- Michigan. Office of Civilian Defense. Victory Speakers' Bureau
- Michigan. State Board of Canvassers
- National Society for the Study of Communication
- National Society for the Study of Communication. General Education Evaluation Committee
- Political campaigns -- Michigan
- Press releases
- Radio speeches
- Republican Party (Mich.)
- Speech Association of America
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Televised speeches
- Theater programs
- United States Armed Forces Institute
- United States Jaycees
- United States. Air Force ROTC
- United States. Army. Reserve Officers' Training Corps
- War -- Drama
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Communications
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Economic aspects -- United States
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Michigan
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women
- Paul D. Bagwell Papers
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- June 1967
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.