James H. Thompson papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the legal and business correspondence of James H. Thompson covering the years 1911 to 1913. The collection is divided into four sections: business which consists of correspondence concerning real estate, The Original Gas Engine Company, stocks and investments; legal matters and politics concerning Thompson's law practice, the election of 1912 and congratulatory letters; personal consisting of correspondence relating to Mason activities, genealogy of Thompson's family and personal favors; miscellaneous and undated material is the fourth section.
Correspondents include Samuel W. Hopkins, O. B. Fuller, John J. Carton, John M. Perry, Alexander J. Groesbeck, Frederick C. Martindale, Dennis E. Alward, Charles E. Townsend, William A. Smith, Grant Fellows, and E. W. Olds.
- 1911 - 1913
- Thompson, James H. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
James H. Thompson, a Lansing lawyer, was a partner in the law firm of Thompson and Trumbell in Evart, Michigan before moving to Lansing. Thompson was president of the Board of State Tax Commissioners and State Board of Assessors and a member of the State Board of Education from 1901 to 1909. Thompson held various positions with R.E. Olds' companies: legal counsel for the Reo Motor Car Company, member of the Board of Directors of the Reo Motor Truck Company, president of the R.E. Olds Company, secretary and treasurer of the Reo Motor Car Company of Canada Ltd. and secretary of the Original Gas Engine Company. Thompson was also legal counsel for the Ann Arbor Railroad, member of the Board of Directors and Owners of the Peoples' Bank of Bath in Bath, Michigan, and vice president of the Holmes Reality Company. Thompson held stock in many companies. He was an active Mason and a staunch Republican.
0.33 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Alward, Dennis E.
- Carton, John J. (John Jay), 1856-1934
- Commercial correspondence
- Elk Cement and Lime Company (Elk Rapids, Mich.)
- Evart (Mich.)
- Evart Board of Trade (Evart, Mich.)
- Evart review (Evart, Mich.)
- Family histories
- Fellows, Grant, 1865-1929
- Freemasonry -- Michigan
- Fuller, O. B. (Oramel B.)
- Groesbeck, Alexander J. (Alexander Joseph), 1873-1953
- Hopkins, Samuel W.
- Lawyers -- Michigan
- Legal correspondence
- Legal instruments
- Martindale, Frederick C.
- Michigan -- Politics and government
- Mineral industries
- Morse Bros. Machinery & Supply Co. (Denver, Colo.)
- Olds, E. W.
- Original Gas Engine Company
- Peoples' Bank of Bath (Bath, Mich.)
- Presidents -- United States -- Election
- Reo Motor Car Company
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919
- Rosencrance family (Nettie Rosencrance)
- Smith, William A.
- Superior and Boston Copper Company
- Taft, William H. (William Howard), 1857-1930
- Thompson family (James H. Thompson)
- Townsend, Charles E. (Charles Elroy), 1856-1924
- Triplex Tire Company (Detroit, Mich.)
- Tuttle, Arthur J., 1868-1944
- James H. Thompson Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- April 1968
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US