New York Labor Committee Against Apartheid collection
Scope and Contents
The collection is comprised of materials produced by the New York Labor Committee Against Apartheid (NYLCAA) in their work to end Apartheid in South Africa. Items include posters, articles, flyers, petitions, and conference materials.
- approximately 1983-1993
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open and available for research in the MSU Libraries Special Collections' reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the authors of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. For photocopy and duplication requests, please contact the Stephen O. Murray and Keelung Hong Special Collections, Michigan State University Libraries.
Biographical / Historical
The New York Labor Committee Against Apartheid (LCAA) was formed in June 1983 and grew to over 30 unions representing more than one million workers in the New York area. The LCAA was founded to support independent black unions in South Africa and to work for the abolition of the racist system of apartheid. The organization's first action was a labor delegation to the South African Consulate to protest the persecution of Oscar Mpetha in July 1983. LCAA supported the Shell Boycott and the Mobil Disinvestment campaigns. It also supported bills to limit New York City government purchases from South Africa and investments of pension funds in companies doing business in South Africa. It was involved in the Free Mayekiso Campaign and in facilitating visits between New York and South African unionists. The organization continued until at least late 1992, possibly longer. (Source: LCAA publications)
.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The New York Labor Committee Against Apartheid Collection was donated by Kate Pfordresher, a long-time member of the NYLCAA who served for several years as one of the coordinators, in March 2007.
Processed by Leslie M. Behm in December 2013.
- Anti-apartheid activists -- New York (State) -- Sources.
- Anti-apartheid movements -- New York (State) -- Sources.
- Investments, American -- South Africa -- Sources.
- Labor -- New York (State) -- New York -- Sources.
- South Africa -- Foreign economic relations -- United States -- Sources.
- United States -- Foreign economic relations -- South Africa -- Sources.
- Finding Aid for the New York Labor Committee Against Apartheid Collection,1983-1993
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Finding aid prepared by Leslie M Behm.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stephen O. Murray and Keelung Hong Special Collections Repository
366 W. Circle Drive
East Lansing MI 48823 USA