Southern Africa postcards and stereoscopic photographs.
Scope and Contents
11 postcards and 7 stereoscopic photographs of life in Southern Africa. Topics covered include gold mining, African villages and people, agricultural laborers, politicians, and De Beers Mines in Kimberly, South Africa. Countries covered include South Africa, Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia, and many unknown locations. The photographs are from approximately 1900-1910. Many of the stereoscopic photographs are dated 1901 and printed in England.
- approximately 1900-1910
Language of Material
Text in English and German.
Restrictions on Access
The collection is open for research.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright laws. For photocopy and duplication requests, please contact MSU Libraries Special Collections.
18 Photographic Prints (1 folder) : 11 postcards and 7 stereoscopic photographs ; postcards each 15 x 10 cm ; stereoscopic photographs each 9 x 18 cm
Collection is arranged by type of material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Source of acquisition unknown..
- Africa, Southern -- Social life and customs -- 20th century -- Photographs.
- Agricultural laborers -- Zimbabwe -- 20th century -- Photographs.
- De Beers Consolidated Mines -- Photographs. -- History -- 20th century
- Diamond mines and mining -- South Africa -- 20th century -- Photographs.
- Gold mines and mining -- Africa, Southern -- 20th century -- Photographs.
- Photographic postcards
- South Africa -- Politics and government -- 20th century -- Photographs.
- Stereoscopic photographs
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script