Miloanne Hecathorn papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes materials from the organizations with which Miloanne Hecathorn worked, including Stop Banking on Apartheid, Bay Area Namibia Action Group, Africa Resource Center, WITNESS to South Africa (affiliated with Africa Resource Center), Southern Africa Support Network (SASN), Southern Africa Medical Aid Fund, and others. She also collected literature from other local groups, including Northern California Ecumenical Council, CANICCOR Research, as well as European anti-apartheid groups. The collection also includes a considerable quantity of correspondence with companies about their operations in South Africa and affidavits signed by companies so that they can continue to do business with the City of Oakland. Correspondence includes companies based in many countries in addition to the U.S. The collection also contains the text of ordinances and resolutions from other U.S. cities (in box EL8).
The documents in the archive span the years 1975 to 1994. While the bulk of the materials are about southern Africa, there are also materials about activism concerning Chile, Burma, Haiti, Nigeria, and Eritrea.
- 1960 - 2000
- Hecathorn, Miloanne (Compiler, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Access
The material is stored off site. Please request 3 working days in advance if you wish to use it.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the authors of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. For photocopy and duplication requests, please contact the Stephen O. Murray and Keelung Hong Special Collections, Michigan State University Libraries.
Biographical / Historical
Miloanne Hecathorn was a consultant to the City of Oakland for implementing its divestment policy as well as an activist who worked with many local organizations. She later was hired as a staff person of the City of Oakland. Among the organizations Hecathorn worked with are Stop Banking on Apartheid, Bay Area Namibia Action Group, Africa Resource Center, WITNESS to South Africa (affiliated with Africa Resource Center), Southern Africa Support Network (SASN), Southern Africa Medical Aid Fund, and others.
12.4 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into 14 series, which were determined by the processor. The series are divided into types of material and projects on which Hecathorn worked. The series South African Anti-Apartheid Activism is further divided into sub-series.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was donated by Miloanne Hecathorn in 2019.
Bernard Moore processed this collection in 2019.
- Africa Resource Center, Inc -- History
- Anti-apartheid activists -- United States -- Sources.
- Anti-apartheid movements -- United States -- Sources
- Bay Area Namibia Action Group -- History
- Business correspondence
- Disinvestment -- Namibia -- Sources
- Disinvestment -- South Africa -- Sources
- Municipal ordinances
- National liberation movements -- Africa, Southern -- Sources.
- Resolutions (Law)
- Southern Africa Support Network -- History
- Stop Banking on Apartheid -- History
- United States -- Foreign economic relations -- Africa, Southern -- Sources
- Finding Aid for the Miloanne Hecathorn papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Jessica Achberger Martin.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note