Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents This collections consists primarily of Civil War letters from William, Henry, and Uriah Arnold. William enlisted in the 1st Michigan Cavalry, which served in the eastern campaigns. After the war, the regiment was sent west to protect settlers from the Indians; William wrote from Kansas and Utah, complaining that the Army had forgotten his regiment. Uriah served in the 23rd Michigan Infantry in the western campaigns, and his letters describe the hard fighting around Atlanta. One letter from...
Dates: 1861 - 1870
Scope and Contents The bulk of this collection consists of Civil War letters from Benjamin B. Brock of the 26th Michigan Infantry to his family. Brock fought in the eastern theater and was wounded at Spottsylvania, but later returned to his regiment. His letters describe his experiences but are generally concerned with home matters. He frequently expressed his dissatisfaction with the army and especially with a war to free slaves. The letters relating to his service in the Civil War have been...
Dates: 1861 - 1865
Scope and Contents This collection consists primarily of Civil War letters from Loomis Dillingham to his family in Michigan. The letters describe Dillingham's experiences in the 26th Michigan Infantry, which spent a year on provost duty near Alexandria, Virginia, before being transferred to active service. Dillingham describes camp life and guard duty. He also discussed politics and the progress of the war, passing the latest rumors on to his family. Dillingham died in a Virginia hospital in June 1864. A...
Dates: 1862 - 1871
Scope and Contents This collection includes the Civil War reminiscences of Newton Thorne Kirk (1836-1909). Written between 1907 and 1909, this account was based on a war diary of Kirk's service with Company E, 26th Michigan Infantry. Wounded and made prisoner at the Battle of Spottsylvania Court House, he describes his experiences while in Confederate hands. He also comments on the inauguration of President Lincoln and on Michigan Governor Austin Blair. Kirk's papers also include a certificate (1864)...
Dates: 1864 - 1909
- Names: United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 26th (1862-1865) X
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864 1
- College students 1
- Education, Higher 1
- Egypt -- Description and travel 1
- India -- Description and travel 1
- Ingham County (Mich.) 1
- Letters (correspondence) 1
- Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Social aspects 1 + ∧ less
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 2
- Arnold family (William Arnold) 1
- Blair, Austin, 1818-1894 1
- Kirk, Newton Thorne 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- United States. Army -- Military life -- History -- 19th century 1
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 127th (1864) 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1866) 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 23rd (1862-1865) 1
- University of Michigan 1 + ∧ less