Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Scope and Contents The Leach family papers consist of photocopies of letters, and a ledger/scrapbook belonging to Morgan Leach. The early letters (1810-1827) discuss the hardships of pioneer life, the swift deaths brought on by disease, and the loneliness of separation from families left behind. The later correspondence discuss business and land transactions, teachers' wages, and various aspects of small town life. Clinton's letters to his parents in 1841, when he went from Margaretta, Ohio to Grand Blanc,...
Dates: 1810 - 1863
Scope and Contents This collection contains photocopies of handwritten transcriptions by the donor of eighty-nine Civil War letters (1863-1865) from Simeon A. Howe to his wife Cindonia Endocia Pratt Howe.The letters relate the activities of Howe's regiment, Simeon's cooking, and give a descriptive view of army life in general. Near the end of Simeon's service, a few letters deal with the death of their young son, Owen. Also included are a photocopy of an army pension document issued to Howe...
Dates: 1863 - 1890
- Frontier and pioneer life 1
- Grand Blanc (Mich.) 1
- Margaretta (Ohio : Township) 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Winchester, 3rd Battle of, Winchester, Va., 1864 1
- Leach, D. C. (DeWitt Clinton), 1822-1909 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 1st (1861-1866) 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Engineers and Mechanics Regiment, 1st (1861-1865) 1