Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents The Bamber family papers consist primarily of correspondence written or received by members of the family of Joseph S. Bamber, a farmer residing in Oakland County, Michigan. The collection includes letters (1862-1865) to Bamber from members of the Hayes family, related to the Bambers by marriage. These letters describe civilian experiences during the Civil War and contain information on food prices, the draft, and "Copperhead" activity in 1864. Also included are letters...
Dates: 1861 - 1883
Scope and Contents This collection includes the transcribed letters of Civil War infantryman, Benjamin Franklin Marsh, compiled by Michigan State student Charles L. Mack. The original letters can be found in the Marsh family papers (c.00047). Also included is a paper written by Charles L. Mack on Benjamin F. Marsh and the Eighth Michigan Infantry.
Dates: 1862-1865, 1973
Scope and Contents The Marsh family papers consist of original and typed transcripts of Civil War letters, the bulk of which were written by Benjamin F. Marsh to his family in Fentonville, Michigan, while serving in the 8th Michigan Infantry. There are also letters from other family members, including A. B. Fay, Ed Francis Holmes, Gordon K. Fay, Lucy A. Bacon, and Augustus Holmes.The letters describe Marsh's army experiences on the march, in camp, in battle, on provost duty, and in army hospitals as...
Dates: 1833-1887, undated
Scope and Contents This collection consists of Nelson's war diaries, several transcriptions, a narrative describing Nelson's war experiences, and a muster roll. Nelson wrote his diaries in shorthand. Included are his original diary for 1864, typed and handwritten transcriptions of the 1864 diary, and a typed transcription of Nelson's diary for 1865 (the original is not included in the collection). The narrative, written by Nelson's grandson Gaylord Nelson, is based on Wilbur Nelson's diary for 1863 and his...
Dates: 1864 - 1865
- Letters (correspondence) 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 3
- Agriculture -- Michigan 1
- Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862 1
- Bull Run, 1st Battle of, Va., 1861 1
- Detroit (Mich.) 1
- Draft 1
- Flint (Mich.) 1
- Fredericksburg, Battle of, Fredericksburg, Va., 1862 1
- Manuscripts 1
- Oakland County (Mich.) 1
- Railroads -- Design and construction 1
- Student activities -- Michigan 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) 1 ∧ less
- United States. Army -- Military life -- History -- 19th century 2
- Dickerman, James 1
- Dickerman, Samuel 1
- Marsh family (Benjamin F. Marsh) 1
- Michigan Agricultural College 1