Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents This collection consists of letters from Abel G. Peck to his family during the Civil War. His letters describe Sharpsburg, Maryland, in the aftermath of the battle of Antietam, as well as as his part in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. Also included in the collection is a letter from a newly appointed woman faculty member at Hillsdale, Michigan. The letter (1859) describes the college and her experiences as the first women hired by a previously all-male...
Dates: 1859 - 1863
Scope and Contents The papers include Civil War letters of John, George, and Daniel Kendall, who served in the 18th New Hampshire Infantry, to their parents in Franconia, New Hampshire, and letters from family friends. Among them is a letter dated June 1, 1863 by William Houston, 24th Michigan Infantry, which describes the situation of Fredericksburg. Also found in the collection is a typescript (1962) giving a brief history of the Houston family.
Dates: 1857-1868, 1962; Majority of material found within 1857 - 1868
Scope and Contents The Marsh family papers consist of original and typed transcripts of Civil War letters, the bulk of which were written by Benjamin F. Marsh to his family in Fentonville, Michigan, while serving in the 8th Michigan Infantry. There are also letters from other family members, including A. B. Fay, Ed Francis Holmes, Gordon K. Fay, Lucy A. Bacon, and Augustus Holmes.The letters describe Marsh's army experiences on the march, in camp, in battle, on provost duty, and in army hospitals as...
Dates: 1833-1887, undated
- Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862 2
- Letters (correspondence) 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va., 1863 1
- Detroit (Mich.) 1
- Education -- Michigan 1
- Flint (Mich.) 1
- Railroads -- Design and construction 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care 1
- Vicksburg (Miss.) 1
- Women -- Michigan 1 ∧ less
- United States. Army -- Military life -- History -- 19th century 2
- United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 24th (1862-1865) 2
- Marsh family (Benjamin F. Marsh) 1
- United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 8th (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. New Hampshire Infantry Regiment, 18th (1864-1865) 1