Skip to main content

The State News records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-12.7.2

Scope and Contents

The records of the State News consist of a style book from 1929, a handbook from 1972 and an undated handbook possibly from the 1970s. There are also sample banners (Complete issues selected to show varying banners) (1925-1954) and selected issues (selected on basis of headline or relevance to University or East Lansing history). Also included are a few issues of the supplements including “Collage,” “MSU Extra,” and “Counterpoint.” Also included are photographs used for publication in the issues. Issues of the Holcad and State News Literary Supplement can be found in the serials collection. Records include photographs of black student occupation of the Administration Building in 1989.

Dates

  • 1925 - 1999

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

The first issue of the Holcad, a magazine-like publication, came out in March, 1909. In 1917, editors were chosen on a competitive basis, then voted on by the student body. In 1925, the weekly Holcad changed its name to the Michigan State News. The paper was responsible to the College Press and paid for by student fees. The first "extra" edition came out in 1932. The first faculty advisor was A. A. Applegate in 1936. In 1942, the State News began covering national and international events. It first used color print in 1958, and was also permitted to cover Board of Agriculture meetings in this year. In 1967, it became responsible to the Advisory Board, which could not veto or censor its content. The Advisory Board was eliminated in 1970.

1909: The first issue of the Holcad, a magazine-like publication with fiction, news, editorial comment, and gossip, is published on March 10. It defends students against bad publicity by the Lansing press.

1917: Editors, formerly elected by popular vote, are now picked by a competitive system, but are still voted upon by the student body. By this time the Holcad is a weekly newspaper.

1925: The name is changed from the Holcad to Michigan State News.

Mid 1920s: Campus Press takes over publishing the State News. The publication doubles in size. A subscription becomes part of regular student fees, thereby guaranteeing financial stability.

1932: The first “extra” or special edition heralds the acceptance of MSC by the American Association of Colleges and Universities.

1936: A.A. Applegate becomes first faculty advisor to the paper.

1942: State News secures national wire service and extends news coverage to national and international events.

1950: The summer paper is suspended after an “inaccurate and unwarranted” editorial calling the American Legion Boys’ State a fascist organization

1958: State News is allowed for the first time to cover State Board of Agriculture meetings. Color printing is used for the first time.

1967: “Academic Freedom for Students at Michigan State University Report” replaces the Board of Student Publications with the Advisory Board for the State News and Wolverine. The latter could not exercise veto or censorship power over the content of the newspaper.

1970: Amendments to “Academic Freedom for Students at Michigan State University Report” eliminated the Advisory Board and guaranteed “full freedom of content and editorial policy…subject only to the advice and counsel of the administrator or administrative unit responsible.” (Sources: Michigan State News Extra- March 10, 1959; Academic Senate Minutes, Notes, Papers and Reports- February 28, 1967; and Academic Council Minutes, Notes, Papers and Reports- May 12, 1970)

In the fall of 2015, the State News began publishing paper copies of the newspaper two days per week.

Extent

33 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Related Archival Materials

Complete issues available on microfilm at the Michigan State University Main Library. Digitized copies of the microfilm for 1925 through 1980 are available on the MSU Libraries website: http://www.lib.msu.edu/branches/dmc/digital/?coll=131.

Legal Status

Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Title
The State News Records
Status
3 Ready For Cataloging
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330