Ada Hunt Whitehouse papers
Scope and Contents
The Ada Hunt Whitehouse papers include her personal correspondence and papers. The bulk of the materials, however, deal with the financial records of Mrs. Whitehouse, her family and the Hunt Food Shop. These records include materials concerning family property holdings such as deeds, mortgages and title abstracts. Federal, state and local tax records are also present. The papers contain Ada Hunt Whitehouse's check ledgers and statements. In addition there are other financial records such as general ledgers and employee records of the Hunt Food Shop. There is also a recipe book for the Hunt Food Shop which includes a loose Hunt Food Shop check. Some of the recipes also include the cost to make the recipe, yield and the selling price. Several farm ledgers of Ada's father, William Hunt, make up part of these papers.
- 1849 - 1972
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Ada Hunt Whitehouse (born 1898 in Ridott, Illinois) graduated with a degree in nutrition from the University of Illinois in 1918. That same year she went to France to serve as a dietitian in a military hospital. Following World War I, Ada joined the staff of the Nutrition Department of the University of Illinois.
In 1922 Ada Hunt came to East Lansing, Michigan, where her two sisters (Clara Hunt Vedder and Agnes Hunt Cade) already lived with their husbands. Both of Ada's sisters were married to faculty members of the Michigan Agricultural College. Ada soon decided to start a restaurant with her sister, Clara. The sisters set up business in a building on Grand River Avenue just across from the University Union. This restaurant soon became a favorite luncheon spot for the University faculty. The original building quickly proved to be too small and the sisters were forced to move their business next door. The first floor of the restaurant could seat one hundred and twenty-five people and the second floor had banquet facilities for another hundred. There was additional room for stocked baked goods that could be taken home. The sisters also provided a catering service for the community. The Hunt Food Shop employed several people and some of them eventually became junior partners in the business.
In 1929 Ada married W. R. Whitehouse, a cashier at the Hunt Food Shop. They lived together until his death in 1944. This year also witnessed the closing of the Hunt sisters' business. Following the closing of the Hunt Food Shop, Ada continued to live in East Lansing.
3.16 Cubic Feet (, 11 volumes on shelf. )
Language of Materials
Gift of Ada Hunt Whitehouse, 1974-03-08.
Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Ada Hunt Whitehouse Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.