Campus Park and Planning records
Scope and Contents
The records of Campus Park and Planning include sketches and maps of the Michigan State University (MSU) campus (1924-1952) including a topographical map of campus; reports and proposals about campus development and buildings; parking and traffic surveys; Alma College and MSU-Oakland University developmental plans; pamphlets about veterans at MSU, the Beal Botanical Gardens, Lansing City Planning, and correspondence between Harold Lautner, director of Campus Park and Planning, and John Hannah, MSU president. Electronic Resources include correspondence in the form of e-mail memos and attachments.
- 1915 - 2011
- Majority of material found within 1915 - 1995
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The division of Campus Park and Planning officially began in 1944 as Grounds Maintenance (1944-1946). Prior to 1944, its duties were performed by the Buildings and Grounds Department. It has had a variety of names, including Campus Maintenance (1946-1949), Physical Plant Planning and Development Division (1962-1965), and Campus Planning and Maintenance Division (1967-1968). Campus Park and Planning originally reported to the Secretary of the University (1945-1960), then to the President (1960-1972), later to the Executive Vice President and President for Administration and Public Affairs (1972-1985). Since 1985, the unit has reported to the Vice President for Finance and Operations and Treasurer. In 2005, the unit changed its name to Campus Planning & Administration. This reflected a shift in their primary focus toward campus master planning and financial administration of campus development. The responsibility for site construction and project records was shifted to the Physical Plant.
3.0 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Lautner, Harold W. (Harold William) (Donor, Person)
- Iowa State University. Archives (Donor, Organization)
- Michigan State University. Division of Campus Park and Planning (Donor, Organization)
- Division of Campus Park and Planning Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- October 12, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US