Charles J. Monroe papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of letters, notes, reports and maps from Monroe's survey work. Also included are Monroe's notes about bills he introduced in the Michigan State Senate in the 1880s, and a diary kept during a trip to Europe, Egypt and England in 1904.
- 1858 - 1914
- Monroe, Charles J. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Charles Jay Monroe was born November 20, 1839, in Lawrence, Van Buren County, Michigan to Jay Randolph and Fanny (Rawson) Monroe. During his childhood, he attended common school and worked on the family farm. From 1857 to 1860, Monroe attended Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University). He took a law course at the University of Michigan in 1878-79.
In 1866, he moved to South Haven, Michigan, where he would remain until his death. He was employed in several fields, including surveying, teaching, banking, real estate, and farming. From 1860 to 1868, Monroe worked as a county surveyor. He worked in private banking in South Haven, from 1868 until 1871, when it was changed to a National Bank. Monroe remained at the bank as a cashier and de facto manager. In 1879, he organized a bank in Bangor, Michigan, and served as its president. Monroe later became a director and president of Kalamazoo Savings Bank. Additionally, Monroe served as a school inspector, trustee of the Michigan Asylum (1890-1893), state Senator (Republican, 1883-1889), and member of the State Board of Agriculture (1894-1907), the governing body of Michigan Agricultural College.
On December 18, 1866, he married Hattie Morehouse (June 15, 1844 – August 22, 1903). Together they had four children, Stephen B., George C., Cora J., and Lucy E. Monroe was preceded in death by Hattie, and their two daughters. On September 16, 1905, he married Clara (Atkinson) Packard. Monroe died October 2, 1919, in South Haven.
0.25 Cubic Feet (, 7 folders and 5 volumes in folders)
Language of Materials
Gift of Randolph B. Monroe, 1960-04-17. Transferred by Michigan State University Museum.
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Record group changed from c.00305 to UA 1.1.14 to reflect Monroe's connection to MSU. -M. Badgley-Malone, August 2021.
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- October 1966
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US