College of Agriculture and Natural Resources records
Scope and Contents
The collection of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources consists of correspondence from 1902 to 1904, agriculture census reports from the 1960s, reports on agricultural schools, the teaching load for each department in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, and careers in agriculture.
Other materials include brochures about the college and its programs, information about Agriculture and Natural Resources Week, reports about international programs, short course for Women’s Land Army brochure, a history of the short course at MSU, and brochures and publications about other activities of the college. Also included are Farm Department records including student labor logs, correspondence, account books, inventories, stock registers, and stock experiments from 1866 to 1924. There are also records of the Sustainable Michigan Endowed Project which was a project funded by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
The photographs contain images of alumni activities within the college from about 1976 to 1996. Activities include Autumn Fest 1975 to 1995, Alumni Board, Agriculture Expo for 1983, 1995, Farmers Week, and Graduation Brunch for 1980 to 1982. Former Michigan State University Presidents Hannah, Wharton, and McPherson are in the photos, as well as MSU alumnus and former Michigan Governor James Blanchard. The file drawer also contains a folder with pictures from the college's trip to China, which includes photos of James Anderson, Larry Connor, Ralph Smuckler, and Sylvan Wittwer.
Electronic Records include correspondence in the form of e-mail memos, and three videos about the history of Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) Week (1914-1923, 1924-1933, and 1934-1943).
More materials concerning early agricultural practices at MSU can be found in the University Farms Collection (UA 16.135).
- 1866 - 2023
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Established in 1857 as the Farm Department, the agricultural course is the oldest academic course at Michigan State University. The early focus of the course was the practical instruction of scientific agriculture. The Farm Department, in combination with the Agriculture Department, Superintendent of Farm, and the Practical Agriculture Department, formed the Agriculture Department/Division in 1907. The name was changed to the Agriculture School in 1944; to the Agriculture College in 1955; and finally in 1966 to the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
17 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Preservica Public URL
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Account books
- Agricultural education
- Agricultural exhibitions -- Michigan -- History
- Agricultural extension work
- Agriculture -- Research
- Agriculture -- Study and teaching
- Agriculture and Natural Resources Week (ANR Week)
- Annual reports
- College students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Farmers week
- Michigan State University. College of Agriculture and Natural Resources -- Form subdivision--Archives.;
- School farms
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae
- Video recordings
- Michigan State University. College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (Donor, Organization)
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.