Union Literary Society records
Scope and Content
This collection contains programs for anniversary events and commencement festivities, a register of members, and a few pieces of correspondence. Also included are remnants of a scrapbook, which include drawings, articles and a flyer for a picnic at Evergreen Park held by the Farmers of Hesperus Township in 1899.
- 1889 - 1927
- Michigan Agricultural College. Union Literary Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Union Literary Society was established at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) on March 31, 1876, the first literary society on campus. The purpose of the society was the literary, moral, and social enlightenment of its members. The first meeting was held on April 8, 1876 in No. 7 Williams Hall. At the first meeting, the constitution was drawn up and signed. Subsequent meetings were held in the English classroom in College Hall and later in Wells Hall.
At first, the existence of the society was kept secret, but eventually word got out, drawing jeers from members of fraternities. In 1877, the Union Literary Society procured a charter and was given rooms in the basement of Wells Hall to use for meetings. In 1891, with the assistance of alumni, a building was erected in order for the society to hold literary and social meetings. The building was purchased by the college in 1925 and the society moved to a new location on Albert Avenue and then later to Valley Court.
The Union Literary Society and the AeTheons were initiated into Delta Chi Fraternity in 1935. (Michigan State News, January 8, 1935)
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 5 folders)
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- College students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- College students -- Societies and clubs
- Letters (correspondence)
- Literature -- Societies, etc.
- Michigan Agricultural College. Students. Societies, etc
- Michigan Agricultural College. Union Literary Society
- Michigan State College. Union Literary Society
- Programs (Publications)
- Union Literary Society Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- L. Gardiner
- March 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.