On-Campus Programs records
Scope and Content
The collection contains reports from on-campus programs related to international studies, including the African, Asian, Canadian-American, Latin American, and Russian and East European Studies Centers; the International Library; the International Extension Office; and Institutes of International Studies in Agriculture and Education. Also included are agendas for planning seminars.
- 1972 - 1977
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
On-campus programs of the International Studies and Programs are organized around major world regions. The area studies centers were approved by Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees to carry out a wide array of multidisciplinary programs. They are the African Studies Center, the Asian Studies Center, the Canadian Studies Center, the Center for European and Russian Studies, and the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies. They receive university general fund support, often supplemented with external funds, most notably by the U.S. Department of Education. Each center is headed by a director who reports to the Dean of International Studies and Programs. The deans of the colleges share in responsibility for the strength and growth of area studies.
Although the centers do not offer courses of their own, they advise on and oversee undergraduate specializations that complement students’ transcripts. Several centers have parallel programs for graduate students. All of the centers disseminate information to interested students and faculty through a variety of newsletters and curricular lists; provide research and travel support to faculty members and graduate students; and facilitate the publication of scholarly works written by affiliated faculty. In addition, all of the centers have active on-campus, co-curricular programs, including film, seminar, and lecture series. Outreach programs, particularly for K-12 education and community colleges, are also important features of center activity.
0.25 Cubic Feet (10 folders)
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Agriculture -- International cooperation
- Education, Higher -- International cooperation
- International cooperation
- International education
- International libraries
- Latin America
- Michigan State University. African Studies Center -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1977;
- Michigan State University. Asian Studies Center -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1976;
- Michigan State University. Canadian Studies Center -- Chronological subdivision--1973-1977;
- Michigan State University. Institute for International Studies in Education -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1976;
- Michigan State University. Institute of International Agriculture -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1976;
- Michigan State University. Latin American Studies Center -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1976;
- Michigan State University. Libraries. International Library -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1975;
- Michigan State University. Office of International Extension -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1975;
- Michigan State University. Office of International Studies and Programs
- Michigan State University. Russian and Eastern European Studies Program -- Chronological subdivision--1972-1976;
- International Studies and Programs On-Campus Programs
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.