Skip to main content

Department of Engineering Drawing records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-22.1

Scope and Contents

The Department of Engineering Drawing records consists of the instruction book from 1907 called “Course in Drawing for Engineering Students Michigan Agricultural College by W.S. Holdsworth & Chace Newman,” syllabi from 1942-1943 and 1945-1946, general class requirements and instructions from 1941 and 1945, and a list of alumni.

The collection also includes annual reports published in the Michigan State Board of Agriculture reports for 1890-1935.

Dates

  • 1907 - 1946
  • Majority of material found within 1941 - 1946

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

Drawing classes have been taught since 1872 at MSU. At first classes were primarily concerned with technical drawing. In 1880 the drawing department had two kinds of classes, mechanical and freehand. In 1899 the department was called Drawing and Design and also contained art classes. In 1930 the Art Department was created for art instruction with technical classes remaining in the Drawing and Design Department. In 1945 it was renamed Department of Engineering Drawing. In 1956 it was listed in the catalog as a section of the Mechanical Engineering Department. It ceased to be a distinct section after 1959.

Extent

0.25 Cubic Feet (, 7 folders)

Language of Materials

English

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University

Property Rights: Michigan State University

Title
Department of Engineering Drawing Records
Status
3 Ready For Cataloging
Author
K. Grimm
Date
June 2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330