Theodore R. Kennedy papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains "Brief Biographical Sketches of Deceased and Retired Faculty, Department of American Thought and Language" by Theodore R. Kennedy. The people included are Paul Bagwell with photograph, Edward Blackman, John Appel, C. Merton Babcock, Kathryn Burns, Lloyd Coburn, Richard Coelho, Albert Cordray, Marilyn Culpepper, Howard Currie, Bernard Engel, Mildred Erickson, Jane Featherstone, Helen Ferle, Thomas Ford, Charles Fulkerson, Perry Giankos, Marjorie Goodell, Benjamin Hickok, Barbara Hurell, Courtney Johnson, Albert Karson, Theodore R. Kennedy, Nora Landmark, Robert Lumianski, Dorothy McDonald, Anne McGurk, Beulah Monahan, Osmond Palmer, William Pipes, Esther Reed, Frederick Reeve with photograph, Ralph Renwick, Daniel Sheehan, Timothy Sherer, Gordon Smith, Robert Starring, Theodore Strandness, Emma Thornton, A.L. Thurman, Mary Tomkins, Arnella Turner, Suzanne Uphaus, Jerry West, Marguerite White, Elinor Winburne, John Winburne, and Robert Wright. There is also correspondence from two faculty containing information for the biographies.
Also included in the collection are materials reflecting Kennedy's work for Michigan Congressman Charles E. Chamberlain. These materials included correspondence, speeches, photographs, newsletters, memos, ephemera and campaign materials.
- 1956-1977, 1992
- Kennedy, Theodore R., 1919-2011 (Person)
- Kennedy, Theodore R., 1919-2011 (Author, Person)
- Winburne, Elinore M. (Correspondent, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Theodore R. Kennedy was born on May 16, 1919 at Centerpoint, Indiana (a town founded by his great-grandfather). He received his A.B. degree from Wabash College in 1941 and later his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Wisconsin with later graduate studies at Louisiana State University and the University of Iowa.
He came to Michigan State in 1945 as an instructor in the Department of English and advanced to professor in 1969. During his tenure at MSU he took several leaves of absence to work as a Congressional administrative assistant in Washington D.C. He retired from MSU in 1984.
He was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity and served as Chapter Advisor to the Michigan State (Iota) Chapter 1947-49 and 1962-69.
He died on December 26, 2011.
1.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Donated by Theodore R. Kennedy
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Appel, John J., 1921-1998
- Babcock, C. Merton, 1908-1988
- Bagwell, Paul D. (Paul Douglas), 1913-1973
- Chamberlain, Charles E. (Charles Ernest), 1917-2002
- Coburn, L. Paul
- Culpepper, Marilyn Mayer
- Currie, Harold W.
- Erickson, Mildred
- Gianakos, Perry E.
- Johnson, Courtney
- Kennedy, Theodore R., 1919-2011
- Letters (correspondence)
- Michigan State University. Department of American Thought and Language
- Michigan State University. Faculty
- Pipes, William H. (William Harrison), 1912-
- Political campaigns -- Michigan
- Programs (Publications)
- Smith, Gordon C. (Gordon Caldecott)
- Strandness, T. Benson (Theodore Benson), 1915-1985
- Thornton, Emma S.
- Turner, Arnella K. (Arnella Klug), 1917-
- United States. Congress. House
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty
- Uphaus, Suzanne Henning, 1942-1981
- Winburne, Elinore M.
- Winburne, John N. (John Newton), 1911-
- Wright, Robert L., 1920-
- Theodore R. Kennedy Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- S. Roberts
- October 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.