Howard J. Root collection
Scope and Contents
The Howard J. Root collection contains two issues of the Holcad for 1921 and 1922 advertising the yearbook sale, a newspaper clipping about Michigan's anti-aircraft regiment, and a proposal for printing of the Wolverine yearbook. The collection also contains photographs of East Lansing, Lansing, portraits of MAC students and faculty, organizations, activities, dances, athletics and campus scenes. The images of organizations include Eunomian, Tau Beta, and Varsity Club. Other subjects MSU related subjects include military service, marching band, Swartz Creek Band, Farmer's Day, canoeing, a barbeque, a Knights Templar meeting on campus, class rivalry or class rush, women's baseball, and women's physical education. Other images include Camp Knox and Coast Guard Station No. 281.
- 1913 - 1930
- Root, Howard J. (Donor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Howard J. Root, from Lansing, graduated in 1923 from Michigan Agricultural College with a degree in Engineering. He was a member of Eunomian and Tau Beta Phi, was part of the Wolverine yearbook staff in 1921, and served as Editor and Chief of the Wolverine in 1922. Root also served on the Board of Publications and was the Chairman of the Senior Dinner Dance Committee. After graduating in 1931, he resided in Lansing and worked as a designer for the State Highway Department.
0.4 Cubic Feet (, 60 folders (mostly photographs))
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University Property Rights: Michigan State University
- College buildings
- College students
- East Lansing (Mich.)
- Fort Knox (Ky.)
- Lansing (Mich.)
- Michigan State College. Eunomian Literary Society
- Michigan State University -- General subdivision--Athletics.;
- Michigan State University. Class of 1923
- Michigan State University. Cooperative Extension Service
- Michigan State University. Red Cedar Log
- Michigan State University. Tau Beta Phi
- Michigan State University. Varsity Alumni 'S' Club
- Swartz Creek Band
- Howard J. Root Collection
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- T. Koenigsknecht
- January 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US