Department of Physics and Astronomy records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of records including blueprints of the Old Chemistry Building (Old Chemistry Laboratory), correspondence regarding a physics textbook, experiments, graduate opportunities, a laboratory manual, materials tests, a proposal to the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, and telescope advertisements from the late nineteenth century.
- 1890 - 2012
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Physics Department separated from the Chemistry Department at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) in 1889. In 1901 physics combined with Electrical Engineering to form the Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering, which then separated in 1915. For the next several years the department was housed in many different buildings on campus. In 1949, the department moved into its own building it shared with the Math department. In the 1960s the Math Department moved out and the Astronomy Department was established. Circa 1982, the Departments of Physics and Astronomy merged. In 2002 Physics and Astronomy moved to the new Biomedical and Physical Sciences complex. The Department of Physics and Astronomy is part of the College of Natural Science.
2.0 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Department of Physics and Astronomy Records
- 3 Ready For Cataloging
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.