Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation records
Scope and Content
This collection documents the founding and history of the Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation, the Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. The Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation collection consists of a vast resource of historical documents in the formative years of the College of Osteopathic Medicine at Michigan State University.
- 1942 - 2014
- Majority of material found within 1966 - 1971
- Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The American Osteopathic Association was founded in 1897 by students at the American School of Osteopathy in Kirksville, Missouri, with the goal of uniting the efforts of individual physicians and colleges to advance the osteopathic medical profession. The Michigan Osteopathic Association (formerly known as the Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons) began in 1898. Its members were instrumental in the creation of the Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation.
On August 1, 1961, the Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation (MOCF) filed to incorporate in order to secure a charter for the Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine. The purpose of the foundation was "to establish a school of osteopathic medicine and surgery in the state of Michigan and to otherwise assist in financing schools, colleges and advanced institutions devoted to teaching the osteopathic concept of the healing arts in order to educate and provide osteopathic physicians and surgeons and to provide education in the ancillary disciplines for the benefit of the public and to provide for the general health and care of the sick and indigent."
Osteopathic practitioners working in conjunction with the Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons, received a state charter in 1964, and began fundraising for the private Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine (MCOM) located in Pontiac, Michigan. Students were admitted to that school in 1969. In the same year, the state legislature granted MCOM's petition to become a state-assisted school, and on August 5, 1969, P.A. 162 was approved. The act ordained that "A school of osteopathic medicine is established and shall be located as determined by the state board of education at an existing campus of a state university with an existing school or college of medicine." The act also created the Michigan Osteopathic Medicine Advisory Board, appointed by the governor to "advise the board of control on all matters of pertinence to the school of osteopathic medicine." Three institutions were eligible for the new state-supported school. Wayne State University proposed a Department of Osteopathy within its medical school, with an associate dean for osteopathy — contrary to the legislative mandate. The University of Michigan did not submit a statement, leaving "the initiative to the State Board of Education." Only Michigan State University applied to establish a full college on September 19, 1969.
In 1971, the private osteopathic college transferred to the East Lansing campus and is now known as the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM). Two classes graduated in 1973: one in May and one in August.
Floyde Brooker was the Executive Officer of the Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine. Arthur A. Speir (KCOS, '35) was the President (1954-1955), Secretary (1950-1954; 1957-1978), and Executive Director (1974-1978) of the American College of Osteopathic Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOOG).
[Source: MOCF, AOA and ACOOG websites]
40 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged into eleven series: 1. Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation records. 2. Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons records. 3. Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine records. 4. College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU) records. 5. Michigan Osteopathic Medicine Advisory Board records. 6. American Osteopathic Association records. 7. Subject Files. 8. Floyde E. Brooker papers. 9. Arthur Speir papers. 10. Newspaper Clippings. 11. Audio Visual Materials.
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Record group changed from 00214 to UA 28.14 to reflect the organization's connection to Michigan State University. -M. Badgley-Malone, January 2023.
- American College of Osteopathic Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Osteopathic Association
- Annual reports
- Brooker, Floyde E.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Family medicine
- Financial statements
- Letters (correspondence)
- Medical care -- Michigan
- Medical colleges -- Michigan -- History
- Medical education -- Michigan
- Medical teaching personnel
- Medical technology -- Study and teaching
- Medicine -- Michigan
- Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons
- Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation
- Michigan State University. College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Minutes (Records)
- Osteopathic medicine
- Press releases
- Sound recordings
- Speir, Arthur A.
- Michigan Osteopathic College Foundation Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- E. Busch
- January 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.