Olin Health Center records
Scope and Contents
The Olin Health Center records contain statistical reports for 1924 to 1969. The reports give data on the number of patients, the number and types of illnesses, treatments, and surgery. Also included are data about types of students served (men, women, short course students, and military). There are monthly reports as well as term reports and annual reports.
The collection also contains miscellaneous administrative records and photographs. The bulk of the material consists of publications (brochures, flyers, informational booklets, newsletters, posters) and annual reports.
Annual Reports are stored separately and include 1941–1971, 1993 and 2008. The reports are also published in the State Board Report for 1919–1957.
There are also two serials for this collection: #994 HealthClips and #1048 Connections.
Electronic Resources include a video featuring the staff of the Olin Health Center meant to teach staff about the emergency plan and an email memo about the College Flu Vaccination Challenge.
- 1919 - 2018
- Majority of material found within 1924 - 2009
- Michigan State University. Olin Health Center (Donor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
In 1861, Dr. Manly Miles, a graduate of Rush Medical College, was the head of the Agriculture Division at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University). He treated students on campus and was joined in 1863 by Dr. R. C. Kedzie of the Chemistry Department and a graduate of the University of Michigan Medical School.
In 1892, the college hospital was located in a rented farm house, ½ mile east of campus. The house was initially staffed by untrained staff. Dr. James H. Wellings was appointed as the college doctor. When needed, there were isolation rooms in the Veterinary Laboratory and Abbot Hall that were used.
In January 1893, the Board of Agriculture authorized the tentative plan to select a college physician. To fund this and the hospital, students were accessed a $0.10 per week fee. By June, this fee was abandoned. Later in September, plans were submitted for building a hospital (where the MSU Union now sits). In 1895, the college completed construction of a seven-room hospital at a cost of $3,500. This was initially managed by non-medical staff residing there but, in 1900, nurse Rowena Ketchum was hired to run the hospital. In 1908, thanks to the efforts of Dr. C. E. Marshall of the Department of Bacteriology and Hygiene, the Board of Agriculture approved the erection of four one-story hospital cottages to serve as isolation wards. They were built behind the Bacteriology Building. When needed, an old boiler house building was also used as isolation wards. Prior to 1920, the Department of Bacteriology assumed the role of health protector on campus. They were often assisted by East Lansing Health Officer, Dr. Bruegel.
Dr. Clyde Reynolds was appointed the first College Physician in 1916. In 1919, Dr. Bruegel was named the Medical Superintendent and the general care of the hospital was assigned to Dr. Ward Giltner, Head of the Department of Bacteriology and Hygiene.
At their August 20, 1920 meeting, the Board of Agriculture established the Student Health Service under the Athletic Department with an initial budget of $1,000. Dr. Clyde Reynolds was appointed the first Director of Health Service. At this time, students were accessed a fee of $1.50 per term. Students were given unlimited health service treatment which included up to 60 days of hospital service. New students were required to complete a medical examination and attend a series of health lectures. The department was initially housed in the gymnasium with offices and four dispensaries. In 1924, the hospital moved to Abbot Hall as a temporary measure due to the demolition of the old hospital for the construction of the Student Union. The Health Service remained at the gymnasium.
In 1925, the old President’s Home (Faculty Row #1) was remodeled into a hospital. The facility was able to hold 50 patients and also had space for the health service.
In 1939, the Olin Health Center was built in part through the use of funds from the Public Works Authority (PWA). The building architect was Ralph H. Calder.
Dr. Alexander Borland became the second director and was followed by Dr. Richard M. Olin in 1925. He remained director until his death in 1939. The Directors following Dr. Olin have been Dr. Charles F. Holland, Dr. Ralph H. Ruhmorff (acting), Dr. C. G. Menzies, Dr. James S. Feurig, Dr. Sidney Katz (acting), Dr. John D. Siddall, Dr. William Duff, Dr. David Bell (acting), Dr. Dennis M. Jurczak, and Dr. Glynda Moorer.
1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Preservica Internal URL
Preservica Public URL
Copyright: Michigan State University.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Olin Health Center Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- E. Busch
- October 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US