Samuel Kirk Halliday journal
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a mimeographed transcription of Halliday's "Journal of a trip on the Missouri River." It is a day-by-day account of his trip taken in 1868 from his home in Fountain Prairie, Wisconsin, to Montana and back again. He traveled by train from his home to St. Louis, Missouri, and from there to Ft. Benton, Montana, by steamboat. While in Montana, he took a side trip by horse from Ft. Benton to Virginia City, Montana. He comments on weather and travel conditions and describes the people, cities, and countryside that he saw. His journal creates a feeling for how it was to live and travel in 1868. He also added some extraneous material to the journal such as a list of his children and their birthrates and some poems. Halliday was born in 1838 and died in 1907.
This journal was transcribed and edited around 1970 by Arnella Turner, Professor of American Thought and Language at Michigan State University, for use in her classes. She excluded a small portion of the journal which covers such items as cash accounts and a summary of his life after he returned from his trip and found a job.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
0.1 Cubic Feet (, 1 folder)
Language of Materials
Gift of Arnella Turner, 1976-11-29.
Copyright: Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.
Property Rights: Michigan State University
- Fort Benton (Mont.)
- Fountain Prairie (Wis. : Township)
- Frontier and pioneer life
- Michigan State University. Department of American Thought and Language
- Missouri -- Description and travel
- Missouri -- Social life and customs
- Montana -- Description and travel
- Montana -- Social life and customs
- Saint Louis (Mo.)
- Wisconsin -- Description and travel
- Wisconsin -- Social life and customs
- Samuel Kirk Halliday Journal
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- December 1976
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.