East Lansing Police records
Scope and Contents
"East Lansing Police -- On Call" is a promotional film made to inform the public about the East Lansing Police Department. The "History of the East Lansing Police Department" video is of a presentation given to the East Lansing Historical Society at their spring meeting held at the East Lansing Public Library. It was videotaped by Whitney Miller.
- 1957, 2001
- East Lansing (Mich.). Police Department (Organization)
- Miller, Whitney, 1962- (Videographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The City of East Lansing first authorized the municipal police department in 1921. Before this, a Town Constable was appointed by the City Council to enforce laws. In 1921, the department consisted of the first police chief, Rev. John G. Biery and three officers. The East Lansing Police Department (ELPD) had a small jail which was seldom used. At that time, the annual budget for the police department was $2,000.
In the early years, East Lansing was a very different place and the police work was of a different nature, including chicken thefts and stray cows. ELPD has records of noise complaints in response to the milk wagon that made its deliveries in the very early hours of the morning in the 1930s.
After World War II, Michigan State College (now Michigan State University) separated its police force from ELPD. ELPD Chief Art Brandstatter resigned and was appointed as the chief of the Michigan State College Police Force. Lt. Charles F. Pegg was then appointed as the ELPD police chief, a position which he held from 1946 until 1972.
The City of East Lansing continued to grow at a rapid pace, especially during the 1950s when Michigan State College became Michigan State University and the student population grew significantly. ELPD had to grow to meet the public safety needs of a thriving city and expanding college population.
Chief Pegg expanded his small police force of four officers into a force of more than 50 officers by the time that he retired in 1972. His successors, Chiefs Steve Naert, Bob Foster, Tom Hendricks, Lawton Connelly, Louis Muhn, Tom Wibert, Juli Liebler and Jeff Murphy all have made significant contributions in progressively improving the organization of the East Lansing Police Department.
0.25 Cubic Feet (, 2 video tapes)
Language of Materials
Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- East Lansing Police Records
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- August 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.