Department of Police and Public Safety records
Scope and Contents
The records contain information on traffic, transportation, parking, and vehicle issues, including a proposal for a Highway Traffic Administration Center. The collection also include photographs and images showing department services and activities. There are also photographs of the accident during the construction of the Breslin Center. Additional images can be found in the department’s annual reports. Annual statistics related to campus safety can be found in the Safety and Security Reports series. Fire safety issues are also included in the recent reports. The Electronic Resources includes correspondence in the form of e-mail memos.
- Michigan State University. Department of Police and Public Safety (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Department of Public Safety (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Fraternal Order of Police (Organization)
- Michigan State University. Police Department (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Folder 13 in Box 5810 is restricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
The Department of Public Safety began around 1939 as the Campus Police, although the first patrol officer was hired in October 1928. The name of the department has changed over the years and has been known as the Department of Police and Public Safety and the University Police Department. Police units reported directly to the university president; however, since 1980, the Department of Public Safety has reported to the Vice President for Finance and Operations and Treasurer.
3 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Copyright: Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply.
Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Amateur films
- Annual reports
- Electronic mail messages
- Jack Breslin Student Events Center
- Michigan State University. Department of Police and Public Safety
- Michigan State University. Department of Public Safety
- Michigan State University. Police Department
- Police-fire integration -- Michigan
- Public safety
- Tailgate parties
- Traffic engineering
- Traffic regulations -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- Traffic safety
- Video recordings
- Michigan State University. Department of Public Safety (Donor, Organization)
- Department of Police and Public Safety Records
- UA 2.7
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.