Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
This collection is made up of miscellaneous tickets, most of them for railroad use. There are tickets from the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway Company, Michigan Central Rail Road; Peoples Transit Company; Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore Rail Road; The North-Western Line; Chicago & North-Western Railway. Also there is a lottery ticket and advertisements for the Railroad Hotel of Detroit and Pan American Exposition souvenirs.
The collection contains letterpress books containing correspondence concerning business and legal transactions of the Chicago and Western Michigan Railroad Company.
The first volume contains copies of letters written between January 15 and May 16, 1885. At that time, J. B. Mulliken was General Manager of the railroad. The second volume contains copies of correspondence written from April 27 to August 27, 1896. Charles H. Heald was the railroad's General Manager at the time.
The papers include biographical information, general correspondence, financial information, information relating to his speaking engagements, and material relating to the Geography Department at Michigan State University.
In addition, the collection contains the following publications: “Railway Digest” (1954-1960), “A Review of Railway Operations” (1930-1952), “A Yearbook of Railroad Information” (1931-1954) and “Ships” (1943-1946).
This collections includes typed excerpts from the memoirs (1861-1931) of F. E. Williams, describing his career in the railroad business. His reminiscences include family history and brief descriptions of railroad travel and operation between 1861-1906.
This collection contains six photographs of railroad scenes. Work crews and work camp can be seen in some. The photographs came from the estate of Frank Galen Hess (deceased) of Wilkingsburg, Pennsylvania. The scenes were probably along the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad between Altoona and Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Hess' father was a telegrapher and dispatcher for the P.R.R.; he was the donor's uncle.
The Robert M. Williams collection primarily contains photographs and postcards of street scenes and daily life in the Michigan towns of Baraga, Brown City, Copper Harbor, Dryden, and L’Anse. There are also postcards and photographs of the dedication and planting of the L’Anse Township School Forest on May 23, 1930. The collection also includes photographs of Michigan State University’s Agriculture Hall, Morrill Hall, and the Physics and Electrical Engineering Building.