Skip to main content

Railroad Club records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-12.3.10

Scope and Content

Railroad Club records are comprised of records related to the club and include invitations to club activities, membership information, and a brochure related to Project 1225 (restoration of the Pere Marquette engine).

Historical Railroad records include records collected by club members and are comprised of forms, labels, stubs, rate information and a copy of the Chicago and Grand Trunk Railway Gazette from 1883.

The collection also includes a photograph and the serial publication "Project 1225."

Dates

  • 1883 - 1981

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

The history of the Railroad Club begins with the acquisition of a steam locomotive. In 1955, Michigan State University Trustee Forest Akers, with the approval of University President John Hannah, acquired the Pere Marquette steam locomotive 1225. The Dean of Engineering was not interested in this engine so it was given to the MSU Museum. The locomotive was placed on static display near Spartan Stadium.

In 1969, a group of students formed the Michigan State University Railroad Club as a rail fan club. In 1970, at the suggestion of student Randy Paquette, the club considered the possibility of restoring the locomotive and proceeded to start on this goal the following year. At this time, Jack Breslin, University Vice President, made it clear that the students needed to keep a presentable work area and if worked stopped on the engine, it would be removed for salvage.

In 1975, the club was able to fire up the boiler and blow the engine's whistle for the first time in 20 years.

In 1978, the club and supporters formed the Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation and soon after was given ownership of the engine. The engine was moved to Owosso in 1983. In 1985, the engine moved under its own power and the first excursion service was in 1988.

The club ended as an independent entity with the creation of the trust in 1978. (Source: Wikipedia)

Extent

0.5 Cubic Feet (, 18 folders)

Language of Materials

English

Related Materials

See Michigan Information - Railroads folder.

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University.

Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Title
Railroad Club Records
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
E. Busch
Date
March 2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330