Fred Avery Thompson papers
Scope and Content
The collection consists of photographs from Thompson's years as a Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) student (1913-1916) and his career as a forester in the 1930s. The M.A.C. photographs include group shots of the Forestry Club, Thompson studying, Class Rush events, and Forestry Club Summer Camp. There are also images of campus buildings including the Engineering Building fire, baseball, football and track and field images, and images of the band. The photographs from the 1930s are of tree planting projects that Thompson worked on, forestry crews, Civilian Conservation Corps crews, and nursery and other project inspections. There are also three images labeled as Michigan National Guard and are possibly battle reenactments.
- 1912 - 1939
- Thompson, Fred Avery (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.
Fred Avery Thompson, of Newaygo, Michigan, received a B.S. in Forestry from Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) in 1916. While at M.A.C., he was a member of the Forestry Club and Xi Sigma Pi. According to the Wolverine, his nickname was "Hypo." His younger brother, Robert I. Thompson, also attended M.A.C. (class of 1918).
During the 1930s, Thompson worked on various forestry projects in Michigan, including planting trees in state forests, investigating soil erosion in Ottawa County, and nursery and orchard inspections.
0.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
A gift of Robert I. Thompson.
Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
- College students -- Michigan -- East Lansing
- College students -- United States -- Conduct of life
- Forests and forestry -- Michigan
- Michigan Agricultural College
- Michigan State University. Class of 1916
- Xi Sigma Pi. Beta Chapter. (Michigan State University)
- Fred Avery Thompson Papers
- 4 Published And Cataloged
- M. Badgley
- March 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.