Skip to main content

School of Music records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-16.86

Scope and Contents

The collection includes annual reports, band rehearsal attendance, marching band formation charts, news clippings, magazines, and marching band halftime programs. The Music Department information includes correspondence, reports, and pamphlets. There are also Michigan State Institute of Music and Allied Arts materials that includes music programs and press releases. The collection also includes scrapbooks containing concert programs, photographs, newspaper clippings, and service bulletins including some from World War II. Also included in the collection are music scores that were used as part of the Michigan Music Project, a Works Progress Administration initiative. Photographs in the collection includes images of the cadet band, the marching band, the concert band, performance groups, the Swartz Creek Band, music camps, music extension, the fine arts festival, band day, and people. There are also slides of the demolition of the old music practice building in 1967, construction of the new music practice building in 1968, and images of the finished music building in 1969.

Dates

  • 1870 - 2007

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Box 698, folders 1-45 are Restricted (Band Rehearsal Attendance records.)

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Historical Note

The first college band at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University) was started in 1870. It then became included with the military department when that formed in 1884. Music was also part of the curriculum for the women’s course. The Music Department was established in 1919. In 1928 the Michigan State Institute of Music and Allied Arts was created. It offered music instruction to non-college students in various places in Lansing as well as on campus but was dissolved in the 1930s. In 1940 the Department of Music moved into its own building. In 1984 the department was renamed the School of Music. In February 2007 the School of Music became the College of Music.

Extent

20 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Related Archival Materials

See College of Music records (UA 15.22) for after February 2007.

Legal Status

Donor(s) have transferred any applicable copyright to Michigan State University but the collection may contain third-party materials for which copyright was not transferred. Copyright restrictions may apply. Property Rights: Michigan State University.

Title
School of Music Records
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
M. Gladding
Date
May 1984
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330