Skip to main content

George W. Spinning collection

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-10.3.239

Scope and Contents

The George W. Spinning collection consists of a scrapbook containing images and materials relating to student life at Michigan Agricultural College (now Michigan State University.) Images include campus, classes, dormitory life, Phylean Literary Society hazing, military squads, and athletics. Other materials inlclude cartoon sketches of Spinning and his friends, a class schedule, and tickets stubs from events, banquets, and meals. In addition there are newspaper clippings, banquet cards, a Lansing Tennis Club event notice, a class rush poster, Gladmer Theater programs, commencement programs, athletic programs, reports cards, and a bulletin on the German government.

Dates

  • 1905 - 1919

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish material from this collection must be obtained from University Archives & Historical Collections, Michigan State University.

Biography

George W. Spinning grew up in Lansing and lived with his mother at the Lansing School for the Blind. He attended and graduated from Homer High School and then enrolled at the Michigan Agriculture College (now Michigan State University). While in college, he was part of a military civil squad and was an active member of the Phylean Literary Society of M.A.C. In 1918 he attended officer training with the First Infantry Company at Camp Custer. Spinning graduated and received a Bachelor of Science in Engineering in 1919.

Extent

0.4 Cubic Feet (, 9 folders, 1 scrapbook)

Language of Materials

English

Legal Status

Copyright: Michigan State University. Property Rights: Michigan State University.
Title
George W. Spinning collection
Status
4 Published And Cataloged
Author
J. Russell
Date
February 2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections Repository

Contact:
Conrad Hall
943 Conrad Road, Room 101
East Lansing MI 48824 US
517-355-2330